10.11.2012

DIY Tie Shirt for Your Little Man

So....this is a post that I wasn't going to write about....buuut.....the adorable Amy suggested I share with you all how I made this shirt (she follows me on twitter so she saw my post 2 weeks ago.  if you aren't following us on twitter, you should).  

She asked, so she y'all must receive.  :)

I love buying cheap white t-shirts (short or long) from wal-mart.  The thickness and durability are great.  And they are perfect for DIY projects like this.  

I've made a shirt like this for our little Mr. the last two valentine's days here and here.  And I also made one this year for St. Patrick's but have never posted about how I make them.  

So, here you go.  You can thank me later.  Better yet, if you make one yourself be sure to let me know!  I'd love to see how it turns out.  :)

I got my initial tie template online.  I traced the template onto card stock and cut it out.  Now I use it every time I need it.  
Once you've cut out your tie using the fabric you like, turn the tie over and place this Heat n Bond on the back of the tie following the (very easy) instructions.  
 
Once the Heat n Bond is ironed on and the fabric is stuck on the shirt, you can either leave it like that or you can use your sewing machine to add some stitching which will give it a little more character.  I like the stitch look.  
So, I slowly run my sewing machine over the tie outlining it.  Like this:
I'm a beginner at sewing and any flaws you make are no biggie since you can't really see them with certain fabrics.  Because truth be told, I'm horrible at sewing straight lines and they are sometimes UG-ly!

Here it is.  Done in about 10 minutes, max!
Now you have a cute, cheap and easy shirt for your little man.  :)

4 comments:

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

Awww - that's so cute!!! Good job girl!! :)

Amy said...

Its so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Misty Marie said...

I have so been wanting to make these for my boys! Thanks for the tutorial! Love it!

Positively Amy said...

OK, I am definitely doing this! I don't have a sewing machine, but I'm thinking I could do a little hand stitching around the edge for decoration! : ) Thank you so much for posting, I'm sure everyone is going to LOVE it! This is the best.

P.S. Where online did you get the tie template? I love the size of this one, it's perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...